Battling Awkwardness

5:16 AM






First Take: Hair Down, Standing Up 

Have you ever been in an awkward situation when all you want to do is break free and hide in a dark corner? I’m sure you have had these experiences of your own and I’m sure you know how isolated it can feel. I for one agree on how awkwardness can affect self- esteem and how it leads to self-consciousness and self-doubt. I’ve been there and done that. I’ve always been ‘awkward’ when  it comes to being photographed alone. 

I guess cause I learned to love photography and the storytelling that comes with it, I got used to being behind the camera that whenever I’m in front of it alone, I just can’t help but feel SO AWKWARD and clueless. I honestly salute those of you who look so natural on camera, it’s actually tough to be the center of attention- something that I’m not really used to. I know that the biggest combat to awkwardness is mere confidence which I continuously try to boost everyday. It’s not easy but I’m gradually getting there. 

A mini-shoot was done in our office last month because of the milestone I reached. Yup! I reached a year in the company I work in and I still can’t believe it. Honestly, so lucky to have met wonderful people who have become like family to me. 

Anyway, this shoot wasn’t even that big of a deal. It was actually just a small one but it was quite challenging for me. I guess because we were in our office studio with light stands, SLRs and photographers, which made it seem like it was legit a big thing. Being there in from of the camera was actually really awkward  for me that I tried to hide it but eventually told everybody. 


Second Take: Hair Up, Standing Up

I know it isn’t a big deal for others but maybe it means something for others ( just like me). ‘Cause of this, I’d like to share with you guys what I actually realized and how it can maybe serve as a reminder for you guys in the future. 


First of all, you shouldn’t be ashamed of how awkward you feel. There are just those days and times when you can’t stop feeling this way. The only way to combat awkwardness (which I see through other people) is through confidence and this my friend doesn’t happen in a day. It actually takes time and effort. To be confident is to think highly about yourself and to accept the current life you have. It’s about embracing who you really are while being true to yourself. I mean honestly there are times when I wish to look and be like others- something that I know we can’t avoid. What really matters is that you don’t substitute yourself  for other’s sake. 

















Third Take: Hair up, Sitting Down
















Fourth Take: Hair down, Sitting Down

Who am I to say all these right especially that I’m just going through awkwardness like everyone else but I guess the only way to conquer this feeling is to be the opposite and to be more confident.

It won’t be easy but it’s always worth a shot. Just like you, I’m also learning to be more confident in the things I do and that’s why I have this online story journal where I go out of my comfort zone to share things I’ve never done or enhance skills that I think I have. 


Fifth take: Anniversary Pose, Standing Up


Sixth Take: Anniversary Pose, Bending Down 

How do you battle your awkwardness? Don’t hesitate to share with me below. :)

Photos taken by my good friends: Nik Perlas and Martin Chua 

You Might Also Like

0 comments